Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Life of a Service Dog

Continued saga by Morgan, Summit Assistance Dog, as dictated to his human, Alice


Woof! The other day I was out walking my person, visiting with two other nice girl dogs, Ginger and Terra. The humans were talking, and we were all sniffing and yearning to run off leash and play together. While we were standing by Page and Terra’s home, still talking (Alice does talk quite a lot for a human; she talks to me all the time.), a big grey husky- type dog came around the corner,(with NO person attached to his leash). We sensed its presence before our talking humans did. Terra started barking, so I decided, why not and joined in to warn that dog to get out of here! He left. Alice says I have a deep, noble sounding bark, but I’m usually very quiet.

Lately I have been feeling my age. (I am, after all, about 50ish in dog years).
Alice noticed that I wasn’t feeling up to snuff, and so she made an appointment for me to see the chiropractor. I have a really long body, and my spine goes out of whack once in awhile, just like humans do, although they walk on two legs, not four. The good doctor has this snappy sounding thingy she uses on my back to help get it aligned, and she also does energy work on me. ME! It’s all about me!

I have been working quite a lot this week. Last night I was under a table for over three hours. I went to the movies, and a 300 hundred-mile car ride on the weekend. The humans were so excited about going all that way to see a bunch of tall, skinny red-topped birds. I think they’re called ant hill cranes or something. They made me stay in the car, I am a bird dog after all. Boy one of those big birds would look really cool in my soft mouth, flapping and squawking away!

I also went to a couple of restaurants and two workshops. I went to the physical therapists ands the library, grocery store, and post office. You get the picture: lots of jumping in and out of the car. I should get paid by the hour, not just in treats and kibble.

Now I’m not complaining; my job is to take care of my person, Alice, and how can I do that when they leave me at home?

Wayne always says something stupid about guarding the cats while they are gone. Those two cats don’t need guarding; they need to be told where their place is!

I mentioned some of my favorite dogs around here. Here is a picture of Aishan, the wolf looking guy. He’s much bigger than I am, but he looks small when he is all curled up. Just look how long those legs are! I misspelled his name last time (rather Alice did).



The November weather is still good for long walks lately, and now that my back is fixed (thanks, doctor!) I will once again enjoy checking all that pee-mail out there.

Alice actually slept in this morning and let me get up on the bed with her. The cats had to be part of that too, but I just ignored them.

Next week we are going out to our country friends for Thanksgiving (whatever: I don’t get any people food, so no biggie),and they have two dogs, five horses and turkeys and chickens, and the best part, they let me roam free! I must admit, horse doo-doo is a delicacy! So that will be nice. Plus Alice and Wayne bring home firewood, to make fires in the fireplace when it is cold out. I like having a fire. It’s sooo primeval.

Well, that’s about it. Oh, and I went to the elementary school, too, this week, and soon I will show the kids (second graders) how I can read with flashcards. I have about 7 words down solid. If Alice wants me to learn more words, she’s going to have to bring out the big-gun treats. (Cheese, Grommit!) I am also going dog dancing on Saturday, Yahoooo!

Woof! Morgan, Summit Assistance Dog,
as channeled through Alice

1 comment:

grandma said...

Wensleydale?

http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/

Would you believe Whole Foods sells Wensleydale?

So you should be prepared....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wensleydale_cheese

Good Dog, Morgan. Here's a piece of CHEESE!!!!