Wednesday, November 7, 2007

“Hey, whose walk is this anyway?”

A November 2007 blog from Morgan, Summit Assistance Dog


More pictures of ME~! It’s always about me, isn’t it?

Alice has been taking me for long daily walks lately, since the weather here has been super nice. (Lots of sun and blue skies). The leaves are almost all down and the new smells on the ground are ever so enticing.

But Alice won’t allow me to sniff when we are going for walks, usually. She makes me walk right beside her on the trail, when all I really want to do is go off, and smell the earth.

She takes me to the off leash doggie play area, in Park Plazas where we live. It’s really an old tennis court. but it’ll do fine. She lets me off leash, and usually it’s in the middle of the day, and we have the place all to ourselves. There are lots of other dogs that live in the area, but most of them are little yappers (I call em dessert dogs).


Two of my favorite buddies here are I-Shon (a super big wolf looking guy who is a true spiritual dog,) and Prince Kelly, a smart little white Bichon Frieze who went to the rainbow bridge about two months ago. I miss him, as does his human, Wendy. She comes over sometimes to “borrow” me and go for walkies.

Alice throws the tennis ball (What is the big deal about balls anyway, I wonder). So I chase them until I get bored and take the ball over to the shady area, lie down and communicate that I am tired of playing the stupid ball throwing and chasing game. 

Um, can we do something different now, Ma?

I did my service dog thing tonight. I went with Alice and her neighbor friend to the Zia Diner. We always ask for a booth cause then I just go in and disappear for a while. I know Alice had some yummy treats left over in her pocket from dog dancing this morning, so I made sure I was really good, and then she might reward me with some treats.

My motto: Will work for Treats. 

When we got to the car she dropped her keys not once but twice, so I got them for her both times, and then did the perfect “car” command, and then she rewarded me with mucho praise. Not as good as a cookie, but pretty good!

Another part of our life together is grooming. I like to have my teeth brushed, but I don’t like to have my ears cleaned or my nails clipped. I love being brushed (It’s all about ME, right?) but I don’t like having my rear end or tail brushed. (That’s getting too personal) Sometimes Alice pulls with the brush too hard: ow!

I think red-gold dog hair looks good on black sweaters and black pants, don’t you?

Last time my human pack dad said my blog on Halloween was four dog bones, That’s the same as four red chilies for movies in town. I go to the movies with Alice and Wayne; popcorn rains down from the ceiling sometimes.

So I go on walks with Alice. I ask you, who is walking whom? Whose walk is it anyway?  Whenever I go out with Alice she always gets compliments on what good-looking well- behaved dog I am. I’m not vain or anything, but yeah, after all that training and Alice’s good grooming, we make a nice impression on people. I like how everyone smiles at us. I smile back sometimes…


Later, woof!

Morgan, class of 2002, (As dictated to Alice, his human)

No comments: