Friday, April 3, 2009

Meet Shiloh and Melissa 2008 Graduates


My name is Melissa Mitchell. I went to Summit when my first service dog, Bastien, was ready to retire. I had taken on the monumental task and risk of raising and training my first service dog myself. In the near decade of our partnership I experienced many changes in how my disability, cerebral palsy, affected me. Yes, I know they say it doesn't get worse, technically, I suppose that's true. The brain damage doesn't get worse, but the body wears out in surprising ways that, for me, lead to increased physical limitations. I went to Summit because I knew I needed to retire my first dog and I just did not have the energy and emotional stamina to both retire my boy and raise and train a new service dog for myself. I knew I would most likely fail and I needed the assistance I knew a carefully chosen, well trained service dog would provide. I chose Summit for many reasons, not the least of which was their use of rescued dogs whenever possible. Summit also put a lot of time an effort into getting to know me and my life in order to find the dog I needed and who needed me.(you can read about my life with Shiloh on my blog) Shiloh and I have been together for nearly five months and each day we learn, grow, and live together. While life with a service dog is not the right choice for everyone, I know in my heart I have made the right choice for myself and Shiloh. Shiloh is an exceedingly bright, sweet girl who has blossomed from the shy, unsure young dog she once was into a wonderful partner who will only continue to become an indispensable part of my life.

1 comment:

bbes tribe said...

Shiloh seems like a great partner. She will become family just like Bastien was. At least that is how our family feels about us. My family really likes the idea of rescued dogs being adopted and trained for service etc when possible.
LOve

Ernie & Sasha