Friday, August 3, 2007

Notes from a volunteer puppy raiser: Maya

Maya is 17 months old now.  At 18 months of age the dogs usually move to Anacortes to live with the professional trainers for their advanced work.  They will meet with a group of prospective partners and choose and be chosen.  Summit will find out what the prospective new partner needs for help from her dog, and train the dog accordingly. This sounds like a good plan.

So now, imagine that you have been living for the past 15 months with the very best, most wonderful dog you have ever had in your life.  That's saying a lot because I've had quite a few dogs in my life. None of them come near her for personality, willingness to learn, to work, to cuddle, and of course, to play at everything.  She is a great agility dog - really fast, a great therapy dog - sweet and gentle with children. But it's time for her to go.  How will I manage to say goodbye to her?

I was in my pottery workshop today thinking about all this. People often say to me, "I don't know how you give them up"  or "Isn't it hard to give them up" and I say something silly like, "Well, you know from the beginning that it's not your dog and you don't get to keep it, so you just do it."

I've found that if I can feel a little angry, I can keep myself from crying about all of this. I was in the workshop imagining her leaving as tears were dripping down my nose and onto the clay fish that I was cutting out.  I tried out several sentences to say to people in my angry voice, like, "This topic is OFF LIMITS!" or "We're NOT talking about this, so just STOP!" It didn't work out very well, and I dripped away. Maybe writing this blog will be therapeutic and will help me get it out. But I have to tell you that giving up a dog that you love as much as I love Maya is just awful, crappy and horrible. AND I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!  So don't tell me you've read my blog and how you felt so sad, or how can I do it, or anything like that because THAT TOPIC IS OFF LIMITS!  You can send me an email if you want and I'll read it in private, but I don't want to be a public drip-face.

I'm glad I know Peggy and Michelle who are partnered with Summit dogs, because it makes it a little easier to see them working with their dogs and know that that's what it is all about. I've got about 5 weeks or so left with Maya, so excuse me while I get another cuddle with the world's best dog.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm Peggy's mom and I guess I can say I know a teeny bit about what you are going through. I just spent almost 6 weeks with Peggy as her substitute caregiver and I fell in love with Apollo, her assistance dog.

Now I have a wonderful (world's best dog) Boston Terrier at home named Pepper who has been loved and spoiled for the last nine years and I am not ashamed to say I'd cry and miss him terribly if I had to give him away, but am I being disloyal to say I how much I miss Apollo now that I'm back home? So go ahead and cry all you want. I think all of us completely understand!

health and much more said...

I thank you for your caring and love.

I have a dog, Kayla that was left with me (she is a rescue dog). I guess that Kayla is about 70 pounds 10 months old and never trained. She is the best companion I have ever had and follows me every where. I have tried to find someone to train her -I do not know if she would qualify to be a service dog but a companion with some training. I need to let her go because she is to strong for me and If I were to fall I can not get back up. I have tried to find someone to hep Kayla and my self with no luck.
So I am setting here crying and not knowing how to get help for kayla or myself.