Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Assistance Dogs get to take vacations too!



This log is from Morgan, who is on a real doggie vacation for a week: no work! Just a cool, mellow "mom" and better yet, two dogs to play with, my favorite breeds: golden retriever and a yellow lab. It was not hard to jump in the car and say bye to Alice and Wayne. I was excited about going in the car with two canines and one new human. This mom knows all about service dogs, and she knows the word "cookie" too. I checked that part out right away.

My person, Alice was a bit nervous about handing me over to her friend, even though I heard her say she has the utmost confidence in this human's ability to take care of me.

I think Alice will miss me. I will be happy to just lie around in the heat, and eat on my regular schedule. And explore her acres of land out in the country.

Alice was rushing around like a crazy woman today. So was Wayne, both of them getting ready for a trip back East to Alice's niece's wedding. They have been talking Wedding for some time, as Reverend Lee is officiating. (I know big poly- syllabic words cause I listen and my job used to be to go to college every day with Alice. One picks up things that way.) And they thought I was sleeping under the desk!

Back to my vacation-time. Alice packed my green back pack with lots of stuff, so I will remember who she is. She packed one of my favorite stuffed animals, my "Puppy", a tee shirt so I will remember her smell, my fleece blanket so I know where to go to bed, and a four page list of "Morgan's Do's and Don't's". She added new phone numbers, and new information about my thyroid medicine. She packed my favorite round red corduroy bed, and most important of all, food!

I know Alice and Wayne are flying on an airplane, and that is one of my jobs. I like flying. Everybody makes such as fuss about a good-looking dog going on a plane.

I know Alice and Wayne are going to my favorite place: Washington state in a couple of weeks. Would you believe they are going to another wedding? I get to go on this trip. I will see all my friends, both two and four legged, and probably swim in the ocean! Running on a beach, chasing waves is one of my all time favorite activities. I am glad my person lets me have fun, as well as work for her.

I must admit, life is pretty darn good being a service dog to Alice. We are a good team!

Ciao, or chow,
Morgan

No comments: