Thursday, September 13, 2007

Jenna and Crystal take their first flights together

We got to the airport fine, though I know Crystal wondered what was going on.  The man who checked us in has a step-daughter who has a service dog, so we had a good chat while checking in (plus a seamless check-in, which was a bonus).  Security was great too, asking if it was okay to pat the dog down.  I ran her fast to our gate, trying to give her some exercise before the flight.

Ah, the flight - which I’m an hour and a half into.  She walked to the seat with my mom while my dad carried me onto the plane.  Crystal was very unsure of the plane, her bulkhead “seating”, and the situation in general.  There was a lot of petting and telling her it was okay, and even a few treats to reassure her she was doing well and she was going to be fine in this situation.  I petted her periodically until we started to take off (I can’t physically sit up while the plane ascends) and then mom petted her.  After about 30-45 minutes, she actually calmed down, quit panting, and laid her head down.  She still picks up her head and pants a bit if there’s turbulence, but that’s expected.  She does have her bear, which helps.

Everyone around us on the plane, flight attendants included, love seeing her at my feet.  And actually, the woman sitting next to my dad was a breeder of Goldens for 16 years.  I hope every flight is this way, with people around us who love to see Crystal at my feet.

The next flight should be interesting, and I’ll write about that experience later.  I try to stay calm so Crystal can be calmer and not anxious, but I’ve never been on a smaller airplane (70 seats) and I’m actually a bit afraid of them.  But she is a great help in staying calm, knowing if I’m calm it’ll be easier to reassure her.

On an end note, a flight attendant said Crystal was the fourth service dog she’s seen this week - a very good sign.


Am now in Kentucky, and Crystal isn’t sure of what’s going on.  She did fine on the commuter flight, though there was less room and she was a lot less fond of it.  The flight was only 20 minutes, so that was a plus.  Tomorrow, I’ll take Cystal out and find some good routes for walks.

Jenna

No comments: