Friday, September 7, 2007

Notes from a volunteer puppy raiser - Eddie and the Walrus

I've been hearing a preview of a report on NPR about work and what motivates people to do it. A walrus trainer was talking about the fun of training walruses when they 'get it' and have an 'ahah!' moment. This reminded me of a time when I was training Eddie. I had been 'falling down' and then asking Eddie to 'get the phone' for me. This is a very important, even life-saving task that assistance dogs regularly do. The partner has a dedicated cordless phone which is always in the same place, and may have a handle, or a cover on it for easy carrying.

After doing this for a week or so, I 'fell' in the living room within sight of Eddie. He gave a little jump and I'm sure he smiled as he 'said' - "I know what to do. I know it! I'm supposed to get the phone right now. I can do it!" And he ran, got the phone and brought it to me with such joy, that the lightbulb over his head lit up my day, and continues to do so even now. It's kind of interesting when you think that a dog has no idea of what a phone is or what it's good for. He takes our word for it that we need it; that it's important to us, and so it's important to him. Dogs are so amazing. I suspect other animals are also amazing, and so is all of life if we only take the time to look and understand.



The photo of Eddie with the phone was taken in kindergarten in the fall of '05, and is in the 'Eddie Goes to Kindergarten' book.

Donna

No comments: