Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My Summer Trips - By Morgan, Summit Service Dog



Well. I thought I’d let you all hear how my latest trip to the PNW went. My people, Alice and her service husband, Wayne, went on their third big trip this summer. The first was to the East Coast in June (I got to go on that one), then in August they went to niece Karly’s wedding and Alice’s family in Missouri. (I stayed behind and had my own doggie vacation).

In September they went again on a big trip to Seattle and Anacortes (my old home!)

I got to go on that trip, too. We flew from Albuquerque to Seattle, but had to land in Portland first, because of heavy air traffic in Seattle. I like to fly. I know just how to behave. Alice and Wayne are both really proud of how well I do on planes. They have taken me all over the country. I am doing my job taking care of Alice when I go with her on the plane. I make sure she slows down. (She’s always in a hurry, and that is when she tends to fall.)



Some of the highlights of my trip were I got to swim in the ocean three times, I got to see my old girlfriend, Abby (she’s a yellow lab, and we used to be neighbors), I got to play lots with Pico, another yellow lab. I saw lots and lots of Alice and Wayne’s friends and family, and they all made a big fuss over me.



The only thing I didn’t especially like were the cats at some of the places we stayed. They were okay but they didn’t like dogs, period. Oh well, you can’t please everyone.

I didn’t get to visit everybody. I would have liked to check on my brothers from Summit: Grant and Joey, Jan and Krypton, and Cole ands Napoleon. Also, Luna….and Baker, Eddie, Sue, Sarah, Deb, etc., my aunties and also my good friends, Ralph and Candy. We were so busy!

So, Alice promises we’ll go back to see everyone another time, but not real soon. Alice is pretty worn out and so am I. Being a service dog on duty for such a long time is hard work.

Oh, I almost forgot the Mariners baseball game! It was my second major league baseball game at Safeco Field. Alice used one of their wheelchairs, and I did a great job at working next to the chair. I also did perfect “backs” in the elevators. See, dancing is paying off! The smells were delicious: garlic fries, hotdogs, and lots of other good smells. It was kind of loud, but I just put my head under Alice’s chair. We took our friend, Jon with us.



I got lots of love and pets at the wedding, but I took a nap during the service; it was outside and there was a cool female German Shepard there named Eve. I really wanted to play with her.



All in all it was a good trip. The flight home was easy. I just curl up small and stay by Alice. She always puts a special travel fleece blanket down for me so I know where to lie. She also gives me ice cubes on the flight too, but I have to wait until we are back on the ground to get dinner.

It was nice to get home to my favorite toy and my own bed, but it was also good to show Alice how well behaved I am, and what a great service dog I can be for her.

Alice loves how well I work for her! Woof!

(dictated by Morgan to Alice on 9/15/07)

No comments: