Sunday, March 9, 2008

Notes from a Volunteer Puppy Raiser

Hello everyone.  I have good news - my hoped for, and expected new puppy to train for Summit is 'in utero' and should be born middle to end of this month.  That means I'll get her towards the end of May.  The mom is a lab and the dad is a collie.  Their first two litters have been very successful in the training program, so I'm looking forward to some good results.  So far, I have had mostly standard poodles, and Summit feels, (I agree) that they are not the best breed for service dogs.  None of mine have graduated.  They are a little too alert, curious, and into their own agenda for a service dog.  As a personal pet, I think they are the best.

I have been going to weekly obedience classes with my Summit pups in training.  I go in Gig Harbor to Jeanne Hampl's class which is for basic obedience, but she gives me more specific service dog  tips during the lesson.  She started the Assistance Dog Club of Puget Sound which is for people partnered with assistance dogs.  It is a support group, a training group and a social fun group.

The club will be having a very good workshop on May 31, a Saturday.  It will be held in Gig Harbor and I'm sure it would be worth your time to attend it.  Sue Meinzinger will be presenting on canine temperament for program dogs.

I'll be there and hope to see you there, also.

Donna

No comments: