Thursday, March 6, 2008

Suzanne and Gusto

Snow Dog

Many of you know that I lost my precious Sadie (my dog) last summer - well, this guy

was a service dog for a wonderful place called Summit Assistance dogs and the human he was with for the past couple of years died a few months ago and Summit decided not to place him back into service.  They knew about Sadie and contacted me to see if I would be willing to take Gusto - a 4+ year old male, who, like me, was rather a lost soul.  So, Gusto has joined the group and he performed spectacularly for his first snowshoe trip ever.  He quickly learned about not stepping on the back of your shoes!  He is quite well-behaved.  I think he was as ecstatic to be out with us as we were to have him along!  You will be hearing more about Gusto.  I can't thank Summit enough for being so caring for me and Gusto.

Bob, Elle and Gusto heading up a ridge

By now, it had warmed considerably from our start of 22 degrees and the snow was getting soft.  So soft, that it was balling up terribly on Gusto's belly and legs, making it hard for him to climb and plow through the deep stuff.  We decided that with another 900' of gain to make Teanaway Ridge, we would call it good.  Besides, we had probably already come a good 4 miles and with a decent amount of gain and this was Gusto's first snowshoe.  I didn't want him exiting quite this soon!

All-in-all, a great day in the mountains.  It had "warmed" up to 35 back at the car.  Someone had a good day!

Dog tired

No comments: