Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Alice Lee and Morgan



Because I am not in a wheelchair, people always assume that I am training Morgan for someone else. I say, "No, he's my dog, and every day is a training day." I get that a lot. Also I wear sunglasses outside for the bright New Mexican sun. (Yeah, sun!) People assume I am blind and Morgan is a guide dog. Imagine their faces when I put Morgan in the car and drive away-- a blind person driving a car!

We are a very visible SD team: Morgan goes everywhere with me, and I am still able to get out and about. (I use a walker or a cane or Morgan or my service husband, Wayne, for balance needs.) I have a rare hereditary neuromuscular degenerative condition called spinocerebellar ataxia, type 3. I am moderately disabled at this time, still able to walk with help and do most things for myself. Morgan has been a great help and comfort to me for the past five years.

I medically retired from my teaching job at Skagit Valley College in June, 2005. My husband and I moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Six months later I was diagnosed with stage one ovarian cancer. It's been a long and difficult challenge adjusting to all my changes in life, but now Morgan and I belong to the Santa Fe Dog Dance Club, giving performances all over town about once a month. I am also teaching Morgan to read, since I mentor in one of the elementary schools, and the kids love it! I'm still finding my way in a new environment, and I am ever so grateful that I was the recipient of not one but two Summit Assistance Dogs. (My first dog, Logan, washed out--made a career change-- yes, I graduated from Summit in 2000 and 2002.)



To describe Morgan's personality (for those who don't know him) I would say he's very amiable,sweet, bright, loves to learn new things, likes to be the center of attention, and can be goofy and stubborn at times. We are a perfect match! My life has been enriched immeasurably by having one of Summit's dogs.

Alice Lee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alice,
Thanks for posting on the blog, it's great to hear how you're doing! I wonder if people know you are the person on the poster that Summit has, with the beautiful golden lab licking your wonderfully happy face? If they didn't before, I guess they do now.
I run into the same questions and statements about Hayden being in training. It doesn't usually bother me, but when it's been several in one day, it gets a little tiring.
Have you had many access challenges in your area?
Michelle