Friday, July 20, 2007

Michelle and Hayden



Since receiving Hayden, I have been amazed at how intuitive he is with me. He is able to be present during my hard times, in whatever capacity seems appropriate. For instance, I sometimes have acute pain episodes that leave me unable to walk or move. After he brings my morphine pack to me, he will either lie down quietly beside me, or if I’m standing and unable to walk, he stands beside, or in front of me, lightly touching against my leg and waits quietly, up to 10 minutes, until I’m able to go sit or lie down. Through these “simple” behaviors, he provides comfort and support that helps me get through these episodes in a much more peaceful way.

Although he’s obsessed with playing, he also seems to know when I can’t give as much to him and he doesn’t bother me. If you knew how much he likes to play and how much he reminds me of the opportunity to do so with him, you’d understand what a feat this is for him!

The first week of July, I was visiting my aunt and uncle in southern Oregon. I was in a store, looking through their magazine selection. Hayden was in his harness and in a down/stay on the floor. When he is in his harness, he is less flexible. When people pet him, he seldom moves much, usually just raising his head so they can scratch his neck.

A young girl, about 11 years old, stopped right by us and was looking at Hayden. I am quite familiar with this look and smiled, asked her if she wanted to pet him and she answered that she would.

She knelt down beside him and Hayden wrapped his body around her, pushing his head into her stomach. In the first place, it didn’t look comfortable on his part, at all. In the second place, I’d never seen him respond to someone in this way. He is always friendly and loves attention, but he was cuddling with her.

I waited a bit, watching her quietly pet him and he continued to nuzzle into her. I told her I hadn’t seen him do that to anyone before. She seemed pleased. I asked her if she had a dog and she shook her head no and said, “I did, but he died two days ago.”

I don’t know what Hayden picked up on with her, whether it was sadness, or if he knew of her loss, but whatever it was, he gave to her in a special way.

It is not unusual for someone to come up to us, ask to pet Hayden and then share with me the loss of their pet and tell me stories about their loved one. I don’t mind this and appreciate being able to share with people who are touched by their animal companions. In this way, I think Hayden facilitates grief and healing for others.

Michelle

2 comments:

Zander said...

That's a really nice story.


Zander&Boston

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful to read, Michelle. Thanks for sharing.