Friday, July 27, 2007

Notes from a volunteer puppy raiser: Tonka

My previous posting was written while I was training my first service dog, almost 4 years ago. I was fresh and very hopeful about this new adventure. My hopes were not fulfilled with Ace. He was a little to shy and sensitive and did not graduate, but went on to be a therapy dog.

My next dog was a Belgian Travern and came to me as a completely untrained pup who had been destined for French Ring Sport which involves attacking and immobilizing a ‘bad guy’ in addition to other things. The breeder donated Tonka because she said he was a ‘slug’. He was beautiful and very bright and quick to learn, and a little scary for me as a new trainer. He wanted to herd my white poodle (think sheep) and he was very serious about this job.

We had him for 10 days and then went to San Francisco, leaving him back with the breeder. Our plan was to pick him up on our return, but when I called, I learned that they had taken him to the vet and found him full of arthritis and hip dysplasia, thus their evaluation of “slug”. So that was trainee #2.

Donna

No comments: