Thursday, July 26, 2007

Notes from a volunteer puppy raiser: Ace

I’d often thought about it – could I do it, and could I ever give him up? Raising a future service dog sounds like a great thing to do, and I’m here to say that it really is. Our five year old Standard Poodle, Chicco, completely agrees. For him, having a 24-7 playmate is close to heaven. They excel as each other’s chew toys, and are always ready for a game of chase, tug, or wrestle. Ace, the future service dog is a 9 month old Golden Retriever, and needs to learn all sorts of skills for his future life. He sits and waits before going in or out of doors, stays down for long periods of time, and does all the typical basic obedience tasks.

One day when we were practicing “back” in the kitchen, both dogs were sitting in front of me. “Back” – Ace sent back. “Chicco – back” and Chicco sat there. Ace went up and poked him with his nose, as if to say “Hey you, move back” then went back to his place. The problem is that this Ace is just so good at everything he tries, so sweet and loveable, so well behaved while in public with his magic cape on, that I’ve grown rather attached to him. But I think about the important job he will be doing soon, and the person who will grow to love him and need him even more than I do. Every morning when he gets up out of his crate, he stuffs a toy in his mouth and runs around to greet everyone as he sings his good morning song. He has a marvelous appetite and eats a bit like a vacuum cleaner. He is so interested in food that he’ll try anything for a treat. And smart too: when I have two treats out for the dogs and say “take it”, Ace grabs the one closer to Chicco, then grabs his own. When Ace graduates and is ready to go to his future home, somebody who has not had the best of luck so far, will take hold of that leash and will be the luckiest new owner of the most perfect pup – Ace.

Donna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Donna,
From a recipient of a Summit dog, I want to thank you for taking on this challenge. It's people like you that make it possible for someone like me to get a dog like Hayden.
Michelle