Saturday, October 6, 2007

Morgan’s blog for Summit - Dog Parks


October already! The leaves are turning and it’s cool enough in the daytime to chase tennis balls at the tennis court that has been made into a sort of dog park.

Speaking of dog parks, let me tell you that there are some really cool ones on Whidbey Island: I know, because Alice used to take me to them.

There is controversy around dog parks, whether to let your dog socialize or run into a bully that no human controls. (It’s happened to me before.)

Here I am, running for joy at a dog park in Albuquerque. (see pic)


The last time I was up in WA, there were new signs saying no dogs allowed in various parks. The same thing was true on the Oregon Coast too.

Here in Santa Fe, NM, the idea of dog park is a wide open dusty place with landmines of poop everywhere. Alice and Wayne don’t go there much, and it’s way across town.


I live in a community that has over 75 acres of open space. They were going to fence part of it, but the neighbors complained. Yada, yada, yada….

Alice is still working with the manager to get a place for us to run. Who cares if we have to share with the coyotes and jackrabbits? Man, we need a place to be free! I like to run really fast in circles, called donuts….


The Humane Shelter of Santa Fe has plans to open a new dog park, but not yet. It’s also farther than we like to drive….

Well, I’m not really complaining, though it may sound like it.

I get to go for nice long walks along the trails and Alice or Wayne let me sniff some of the time. The command is “free”.

Now the ideal dog park would be as place for humans to socialize too. A portable espresso stand would be nice.

Well, in my dog years of experience (that’s over 49 years, count em!) dog parks are a great concept. Think of all the pee-mail you can savor!

Last week one of my aunties, and dog trainer, Sarah Broderick came to visit and I am happy to report that Alice and I passed the re certification test with flying colors.

But Alice needs work, let me tell you. She needs to be a stronger alpha dog-girl, more consistent and clear in her commands. We need a refresher course. Things have gotten rather lax around the Lee house.


I’d be interested in hearing what you all think of dog parks.

Paws up or paws down?

Later…

Morgan, (Summit Service Dog, 2002 graduate, as dictated to his human, Alice)

No comments: