Friday, October 12, 2007

Notes from a Volunteer Puppy Raiser - Maya and Chloe at graduation

Hello everyone - Peggy posted on the Summit graduation from the point of view of a graduate, or two grads, because Apollo deserves heaps of credit for 'making it'. I know that it is not at all easy for a dog to do all the things we ask of her, especially when they don't make sense to her. I am posting from the puppy-raiser point of view.

We went up to Anacortes on Friday. Sue - Summit's Executive Director - said we could have Maya, my "Service Dog in Training" (SDIT), for the weekend, so we wanted to spend as much time with her as possible. We met at the Fidalgo Care Center where I was able to watch Sue work with Maya. I was so pleased to see Maya's attention and devotion to Sue. It really let me know that Maya was happy there. Of course I took a lot of photos, as there will be another book coming out, this one about Maya - her life with me, with Sue, and on and on.

When Maya saw Chloe and us, we got a huge welcome, and Chloe and Maya could not hold still. They soon fell into their familiar relationship and Chloe chewed on Maya and Maya washed and washed Chloe's ears. "Who's been taking care of you?" she wondered. "Your ears are definitely not clean enough!" We stayed in our motor home and had lots of long walks and free play time. We met with some of the other Summit or former-Summit dogs and their people.

On graduation day, Chloe had to stay in the RV, but Maya sat in the first row and watched the ceremony with interest. At one point she even jumped on the stage to get a closer look! What does she understand about her life, and where she is going?
The ceremony was great, and a bit of a tear-jerker, as usual. Peggy did a great job as class speaker. "Kudos to you, Peggy!" When we came to the part about the puppy raisers handing over the leash to the graduate, I could only wonder who would be on the stage next year. Would Maya and I be up there? Would I hand over a leash to someone who would love and cherish Maya for the rest of her life, and need her like nobody else? Maya is the fifth dog I have puppy-raised. If she graduates, she will be my first. This is no easy job to ask a dog to do. Sue is very happy with her so far, but we'll keep our fingers crossed and wait and see.

After the ceremony, we brought Chloe in to the reception for a brief visit. And then it was time to leave. Maya left first and went into her van. As we were leaving, Chloe was looking around for her. "It's time to go. Where are you?" I buckled her into her seatbelt harness. We started up the engine, and she knew that Maya was not coming with us. She cried and cried - something she has never done before.

It was a wonderful weekend, one that I will not forget.

Donna

No comments: